Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Experience


I am going to travel to Bergamo, Italy and explore the architecture of the area and surrounding areas. Bergamo was part of the Republic of Venice for about 400 years starting in the 15th century. I plan to explore the old part of the city Citta Alta. We are staying with Maria Sison's grandmother, Maria Massolo. Maria Massolo, lives within walking distance to the old churches and buildings in Citta Alta.  The Venetians built the old wall that surrounds the Citta Alta. I would like to explore the architecture and take pictures using what I have learned in photography. I plan to ask locals about the architecture and explore and record the history of different buildings. We will also take overnight trips to places such as Venice itself. I will compare this architecture to the architecture of Bergamo, because much of Bergamo’s architecture is Venetian. The experience is unique in that we have the opportunity to stay with someone who lives in the area year-round. Maria’s grandmother will also be a valuable resource for information and should be able to introduce us to people who are knowledgeable about the area. I am more interested in the history of the buildings then the specific architectural aspects. I do not seek as much to know how exactly each building is made, but the story behind each structure.
The opportunity to stay with a local person is unique because we will be living directly in a town that is rich with old and medieval architecture. It will be much different from a regular trip because Maria’s grandmother is local and knows the area and the people. We will not be so much tourists as we will have more of an immersion into local life. I would like to study this architecture some beforehand, then observe and learn more about it as I am there. I would also like to photograph the architecture and relate the architecture to the history of the town. I want to gain a first hand knowledge of the area and to really understand how the town (as well as surrounding areas) came to look the way they do.
I will bring my digital SLR camera and I will record what I learn and experience on this blog. I will keep a journal with meme to take notes on our travels. I will update the blog with pictures and new information when in Bergamo because we have definite internet access there. I am very excited about this experience and I look forward to gaining knowledge and sharing what I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment